Diana Gabaldon talks about the Outlander movie

November 22, 2008 at 4:00 pm 106 comments

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

There is a great post on author Diana Gabaldon’s website, where she talks about Essential Productions optioning her book, Outlander. She clears up quite a few questions about the possible movie of her first book in the Outlander series.

One of the things she mentions, which I have been wondering about, is the impossibility of translating such an enormous, richly detailed novel into a 2 to 2 1/2 hour movie.

Of course, the thing that is on everyone’s mind is the casting for Jamie Fraser. (See the great Jamie Fraser casting call on The Thrillionth Page.)

In the her post, Ms Gabaldon says:

I can also tell you that a) yes, Gerard Butler is a fine-looking specimen of Scottish manhood, even if he is a Lowlander, but b) I think he might have difficulty playing a 22-year-old virgin; c) Keira Knightley would probably make an excellent Claire (she has the accent and the capacity for sarcasm), if she gained forty pounds, but d) James McAvoy is probably a wonderful actor, but he’s only 5’7”, for heaven’s sake.

Well, there’s hope for James Murray, yet! ;-)

Here are a few other things not to be missed on Diana Gabaldon’s website:

• Excerpts from her books, including her upcoming new contemporary mystery, Red Ant Hill and the upcoming Outlander installment, An Echo in the Bone.
  • Podcasts, where Ms Gabaldon talks about her books, the craft of writing, and reads from her works.
  • Interviews, that extend back to the release of Outlander.
About these ads

Entry filed under: Random book stuff. Tags: , , , .

Author Obsessions What Makes it a Keeper?

106 Comments Add your own

• 1. Carolyn Jean  |  November 23, 2008 at 6:37 am

Hilarious! I saw this Galbaldon post. She totally has a point about Butler. Oh, your precious James…I’m sorry he didn’t win. As you say, he does have the eyes.

• 2. Terry Murray  |  August 24, 2009 at 1:35 pm

What about Karl Urban from the Lord of The Rings Movies?

• 3. Yvonne  |  May 24, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Jamie Frazier – Josh Holloway??

• 4. maria falcon  |  April 17, 2011 at 7:11 am

totally, he did this film after lotr, where he played a viking stranded in america.he was great.

• 5. maria falcon  |  April 17, 2011 at 7:12 am

saw him in a film after lotr where he played this viking stranded in america, he was great.

• 6. Pam  |  September 6, 2009 at 7:33 am

Boy, has any thought about Erik Skarsdale from “True Blood”? He would be an AWESOME Jamie; tall, handsome, sexy. Just thinking about it makes me feel giddy!!

• 7. Em  |  October 20, 2009 at 11:40 pm

As a swedeI definetly agreewith you but his name is “Skarsgård”.

• 8. Renee  |  November 23, 2008 at 2:57 pm

Carolyn Jean: Yeah, I think the biggest difficulty for casting Jamie is finding someone with the stature (I think Jamie’s supposed to be around 6’3″), youth (early 20′s), and features that would look good with red hair.

Here’s a YouTube video of JM from Under the Greenwood Tree . Enjoy!

• 9. sula  |  January 7, 2009 at 5:09 pm

ok, so I’m clearly really late to the discussion, but is this JM that you are referring to this guy? Another pic here and here. I think I can see it. He had a pretty intense way about him in Greenwood Tree.

Of course my personal pick for Jamie has always been Sean Bean but he’s clearly too old for the first installments of the story. But oh man, for older Jamie? Smokin!

• 10. Renee  |  January 7, 2009 at 5:28 pm

Sula: Yes! Under the Greenwood Tree was the only thing I could find with him in old fashioned clothing. He was very intense in it. For something contemporary and with more action, he was in the series Primieval.
    Sean Bean would be great for books 2 and on! That to me is the biggest challenge: actor youthful enough to pass for early 20′s, but with enough character to carry off 40′s.

• 11. Midnight Angel  |  January 16, 2009 at 9:53 am

I stand firm on my feeling that we need mostly unknowns to these films. Casting what we know as famous hollywood people would ruin it for all of us. Yes Gerard Butler gets my motor running too.. but he’s not quite right. There has to be other manly gorgeous tall men with huge talent aching to play this role. If I hear one more nomination for that stick Keira Knightly as Claire and I will cry. She doesn’t have the chops or the figure to support Claire’s amazing role. Claire is maturnal and brilliant. I really hope for unknowns, exellent talented Unknowns to bring this tale to life!

• 12. Enid  |  September 17, 2009 at 12:58 pm

I also agree,to bring these characters to life you must use unknown,but good actors. And a natural redhead or light auburn haired man and a women with some meat on her bones not Kiera Knightly she is beautiful but too skinny. If I remember correctly Jamie loves Claire’s” Round” bottom.

• 13. Amy  |  January 28, 2009 at 11:39 am

If Taylor Lautner can play a “27 year old, 7 foot tall” werewolf, then I think that Gerard Butler can play a 22 year old. Besides, most of the scenes that require a “virgin” actor will have to be left out completely or severely rewritten. I think we have to be careful about casting when we consider the length of time covered by the books. No one wants to have to recast a beloved character.

• 14. Radar  |  May 14, 2011 at 11:18 pm

TOTALLY agree, we just have to get past the virgin part & Gerard has it hands down. Cause Jamie is REALLY convincingly strongly sexual even though Claire is his 1st. (grammatically wrong I know)

• 15. Sherp  |  February 22, 2009 at 7:51 am

Have you seen Philip Winchester? He plays Crusoe on the NBC. He’s tall enough, handsome enough, etc. etc. And Sean Bean plays his father…

• 16. Jeg  |  September 12, 2009 at 8:49 pm

I totally agree I was watching him the other night and I instantly thought he would be a good Jamie.

• 17. Renee  |  February 22, 2009 at 11:58 am

Sherp: Wow, good call. I ran over to IMDB and looked him up. He really does look like a good possiblity for Jamie. I hadn’t heard of a Crusoe tv series. Must check it out, now. ;-)

• 18. Renee  |  February 22, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Midnight Angel: Sorry I haven’t replied sooner! I somehow missed your message!
    While it’s fun to play the casting game, I agree with you about Hollywood actors. I have a hard time watching a movie and not being aware that I’m watching “Brad Pitt” or “Robert DeNiro”. British actors usually work better for me since I’m less familiar with them, and (more importantly) less aware of their personal lives. Like you, I can appreciate GB’s hotness without wanting to see him as Jamie. He just wouldn’t work. And, I actually like KK (especially in Bend it Like Beckham), but she’s just not Claire.

Amy: LOL. You are too right about Taylor Lautner, tho’. Even as young pre-werewolf Jacob, he just didn’t work for me (he looked too much like a Disney Channel actor) and I just don’t see how he’s going to pull off wolfy Jacob. I actualy have a post with a pic (scroll to end of post) of an model/actor (whose name I unfortunately don’t know) whom I think would be a great Jacob–tho’ honestly, he’s probably too old.
    Somehow, I don’t think I’d ever buy GB as a 22 yo virgin. You’re right. The actor would have to be able to carry off 22 and 42 (and older), believably.
    Also, again, my apologies for not seeing your comment sooner. :-)

• 19. Terry  |  March 25, 2009 at 8:20 am

My 2 cents for the casting of Jamie – Kevin McKidd, the new doctor on Grey’s Anatomy – Scottish, red hair, BLUE eyes, brooding and sexy as all get out!!! Sigh!

• 20. Stacey  |  October 9, 2009 at 4:42 pm

I totally agree with Terry on Kevin McKidd playing Jamie!!! YAY!!! Im so glad that there are some out there that agree with me. He would be PERFECT! How can we get to the director to tell him this? We need a big, strong, manly man to play Jamie, not the guy from Lord of the Rings or James McKavoy (sp?). And NO for Kiera Knightly!

• 21. Nicole  |  December 6, 2010 at 7:39 pm

No! His eyes are all wrong. We need someone who DOESN’T brood all the time. He should have kind eyes and classic good looks… but also a mean glare when needed. He should be a guy who is big and scary looking, but is a total marshmallow on the inside {{you can tell when you look in their eyes!!!}}

• 22. Vassi  |  April 18, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Hands-down….Kevin McKidd for Jamie Fraser. He is exactly how I pictured Jamie to be, right down to the red hair, ruggeredness and accent. No other choice. Seriously.

• 23. Renee  |  March 25, 2009 at 8:40 am

Terry: I don’t know if you visited The Thrillionth Page’s JF casting call (see link in post) but he was definitely a contender! :-)

• 24. Kelly  |  March 27, 2009 at 12:49 pm

How about Canadian actor, Kevin Durand? He is taller than Jamie at 6′ 6 3/4″, but speaks fluent french & is a handsome, brawny lad!
    I concur with Midnight Angel regarding Keira Knightly. She is a lovely actress, but not right for Claire. My choice would be British actress, Anna Friel. She is spunky & has the look of Claire in my mind. She played “Lady Claire” in the 2003 movie “Timeline” & was the romantic interest of Gerard Butler!

• 25. Jess  |  March 29, 2009 at 7:59 am

I know I’m kind of late joinging this, but I don’t really know any actor that suits Jamie for me. As for Claire, though, I really think Kerry Russell would be perfect. I don’t think she has an English accent, but she might be able to fake one. Plus she has a look about her that she could play a late 20′s or early 50′s woman believably.(and she’s not stick skinny like SOME people)

• 26. MARY ANN VANMETER  |  April 24, 2009 at 5:13 pm

IM ALSO NEW TO THIS SITE . IVE READ ALL THE BOOKS IN THE OUTLANDER SERIES, AND I CANT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST ONE IS PUBLISHED. I JUST WANTED TO ASK ALL OF THE MORE SERIOUS OUTLANDER FANS IS IT REALLY TRUE ABOUT A MOVIE OR IS THAT JUST A PIPE DREAM, I DONT WANT TO GET MY HOPES UP FOR NOTHING, AND IF SO, WHEN AND WERE DOES IT GET RELEASED?P.S. I THINK DIANE LANE WOULD BE A PERFECT CLARE!

• 27. Deb  |  July 17, 2009 at 6:23 pm

I believe Rachel Weiss would be SMASHING, cast in the role of Claire!

• 28. Renee  |  April 24, 2009 at 7:49 pm

Kelly: Sorry it’s taken me so long to reply!
    Kevin Durand really sounds good! Ooh, I like Anna Friel (I think she’s great in Pushing Daisies.) She’s got a really interesting look rather than a model or raving beauty, which is more like Claire, I think.

Jess: lol. Yes, there is much made (by Jamie) of Claire’s figure, which KK is lacking. Keri Russell is great with her coloring, and the hair!

Mary Ann: Yes, Diana Gabaldon has confirmed, and the production company has issued a press release. Of course, many movies never make it out of production and into the theaters, so only time will tell. However, I did notice an Outlander listing at IMDB.com for a 2011 production date.

I think Diane Lane would be great for the older Claire, though as good as she looks, idk if she could pull off the early 20′s Claire. (Which is sort of depressing given that she & I are the exact same age. lol)

• 29. Gabrielle  |  July 13, 2009 at 10:22 pm

Rupert Friend gets my vote for Jamie. He is tall, gorgeous and young – could grow with the movies.

• 30. April  |  July 16, 2009 at 8:36 am

Oh, WOW! Looked up the actor Philip Winchester on IMDB.com, as someone suggested above and……he is totally Jamie! Uncanny, really. He gets my vote!!! Very hot.

I also have to agree that these characters MUST be played by relatively unknowns.

• 31. Chloe  |  August 10, 2009 at 2:26 pm

WOW Good choice with Philip Winchester….I can totally see it! He would be great for young Jamie and also older Jamie, with creative makeup…I’ve never heard of him and was thinking Gerard Butler would be a great choice.

I also envision Rachel Weisz as Claire! From her Mummy days, especially!
    Jim Caveziel as Roger, Josh Holloway as Stephen Bonnet, Laura Prepon as Bree

• 32. Monika  |  August 12, 2009 at 2:11 pm

I agree with Chloe. Philip Winchester for Jamie and Rachel Weisz for Claire. Rachel has the proper color eyes and intensity for Claire with just a touch of silliness. Philip is a closer to the proper age and has fair enough features to pass for a red head. Plus he is extremely hot!

• 33. JennU  |  August 17, 2009 at 9:43 am

I agree with Philip Winchester…I think he is perfect…I LOVE Gerard Butler…maybe he could play Doogal?
    I am not seeing Rachel Weisz for Claire though. Something about her isn’t right for the character…
    But i LOVE Philip for Jamie….

I have read and re read the whole series getting ready for the new book in September…I have also listened to the book on CD. Has anyone else….Let me tell you listening to the book makes my ‘character creation’ so much different. The women who reads the book is FANTASTIC!!!! She does such an amazing job…she does it for the WHOLE series….Ahhhh I am so much more in love with Jamie… :)

• 34. Renee  |  August 17, 2009 at 4:14 pm

Gabrielle: I do think he’s still a little young, but maybe in about 5 years or so, he’d have the presence needed! :-)

April: Yes, as much as I like James Murray, I think I’ve been persuaded that PW does most closely physically resemble the picture I have of Jamie in my head.

Chloe: Ooh, I really like your suggestions for the male secondary characters! I will have to check out imdb for your Bree suggestion. :-)

Monika: Coloring and talent wise, I think RW would be great, however I always imagine Claire as more earthy and RW is more delicate looking. (However, I think she’s really beautiful!)

JennU: The audiobooks are WONDERFUL! My favorites, and I’ve actually listened to the series rather than read it. Davina Porter is amazing, and I completely agree with you!

• 35. Wendy Evans  |  August 18, 2009 at 1:53 am

Well, I have found Jamie at last. Where my heart goes to Gerard Butler (he could play the older Jamie) Jamie the younger could be Josh Holloway. Also, there should be a part for Billy Connolly. You can’t have a Scottish film with out the Big Yin.

• 36. JennU  |  August 18, 2009 at 5:28 am

How could I forget about Josh!! You know sadly if he tied his hair back with a blue ribbon…he could play Randall and Frank…but to put him as the rotten Black evil man…ugh that would be hard. Hahaha…

• 37. Debra  |  August 21, 2009 at 7:08 am

I have seen this actor Richard Coyle in the movie Lorna Doone and I think he would make a perfect Jamie. He was also in the British series Coupling. Richard isn’t 22 but I think he could do it.Check him out. As for Claire I don’t have a clue.

• 38. Nancy  |  September 11, 2009 at 6:54 pm

Gabriel Aubrey looks like a young Jamie
    There is a day time actor who could play Jamie quite well. I do not know his name but he plays the role of “Jason Quatermaine” on General Hospital. H e has the height, the bone structure, the coloring, the blue eyes.

• 39. Kelly  |  September 13, 2009 at 5:29 pm

Am still sticking to my guns in regards to my choices for Jamie & Claire being Kevin Durand & Anna Friel. I love Chloe’s choice for Brianna, Laura Prepon (Donna Pinciotti from That ’70′s Show) I like Robert Carlyle as Colum ban Campbell MacKenzie, Henry Cavill as Roger, Angus Macfadyen as Dougal, Billy Connolly as Murtagh, Dawn Steele as Jenny, Dexter Fletcher as Ian Murray, James Cosmo as Lord Lovat, Richard Briers as Rev. Dr. Reginald Wakefield, James Preston Rogers as Angus. I’d love to see John Hannah, Billy Nighy & John Hurt in there somewhere! Too much I know, just needed a good distraction today!

• 40. Cath  |  October 19, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Geillis Duncan? How about Tilda Swinton? She’s got the crazy, weirded out stare that I seem to recall from the books…As for Brianna, NOT Laura Prepon – not unless she’s able to carry off the Gàidhlig better than a native speaker! It’s so much a part of who she is…ok, ok, I’m being picky, but really, if we’re casting, lets do it right and make them work for it! :)

I still think Gabrielle Aubrey for Jamie…

• 41. Cath  |  October 19, 2009 at 8:55 pm

Max Martini for Jamie perhaps? I saw a pic of Aubrey with red hair and it was wrong….so wrong..so were the other roles…but that first one, Max, mmmmmmmmmphm!

• 42. Kelly  |  January 8, 2010 at 5:58 pm

I agree, Laura Prepon wouldn’t have the gaidhlig I like Tilda Swinton as Geillis! How about Ian Duncan for Roger? Gabrielle is pretty, but can he act?

• 43. yooper  |  December 29, 2009 at 6:50 pm

ick on kevin durand, he looks to femmy, jamie will need to have those chisled features, like he is made out of granite himself, gerard butler has the looks but i din’t think he is quite perfect, but im sure there is one out there.

• 44. Gen  |  October 16, 2011 at 6:24 am

I cannot think of anyone but Laura Pepon to play Brianna!

• 45. Susie  |  September 15, 2009 at 12:04 pm

I still think that the only Jamie to consider is Lliam Neeson. He may be older but he’s the only actor, in my opinion, who looks like Jamie as I envision him. As for Clair…..the woman who played the nurse in “the English Patient” would be the perfect Clair.

• 46. Marcy  |  September 17, 2009 at 7:08 am

Gag

• 47. Marcy  |  September 17, 2009 at 6:17 am

Has anyone thought of Nancy Travis for Claire ???

She has been my vision of Claire since day one !!!

I see Gerard Butler more in the Roger role as well.

• 48. Cath  |  October 19, 2009 at 7:26 pm

Hi Marcy – yes, she could be a great Claire. I’m having a hard time though as Claire is such a defined personality and none of the women actresses with whom I’m familiar work – perhaps an amalgam, but which ones???

• 49. Marcy  |  September 17, 2009 at 8:26 am

Gabrielle Aubrey IS Jamie Fraser !!!

• 50. Cath  |  October 19, 2009 at 7:27 pm

Cath, on October 17th, 2009 at 5:43 pm Said:

Marcy! OMG! Gabrielle Aubrey …. you are so totally right…can he speak french? Is he scottish? is he tall enough?? oh, who cares…he’s drop dead gorgeous – absolutely Jamie.

• 51. Ava  |  November 9, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Definitely G. Aubrey!!! No other choice for me.

• 52. carolyn  |  September 23, 2009 at 2:44 pm

My opinion is it should be Rob Pattinson – do not laugh, think about it. He has real presence, real charisma – his pain and love are very transparent. I believe being english and the fact that he is so good at an American accent, that he could slip into a scottish accent quite nicely, and with that beautiful head of hair he could easily become auburn. He is going to be 24 next spring – he is the right age. Some of the ladies I have seen on Youtube Felicitas Woll – looks perfect for claire – would have to hear her. Hugh Dancy might be a close 2nd to Rob, but I think this guy has to be on fire, dynamic and his feelings have to be transparent…and he can’t be old. Look at Rob, or Hugh, Jamie must be absolutely perfect.

• 53. O  |  September 30, 2010 at 8:33 pm

ewww…I really don’t like Robert Pattinson…he’s too…wimpy to play a savage scottish warrior. my fave for Jamie is Gerard Butler, but if they can’t make him look 22, then i would have to say Gabriel Aubry

• 54. carolyn  |  September 23, 2009 at 2:45 pm

PS Rob Pattinson is also 6’1 – I think Hugh Dancy is fairly tall too – so many actors are so small!

• 55. rico  |  September 23, 2009 at 9:24 pm

rob pattison? no no no… maybe he could play young gray lol. hes got that whole homosexual look to him.

• 56. jessica  |  September 29, 2009 at 8:08 am

Philip Winchester all the way!

• 57. jessica  |  September 29, 2009 at 8:23 am

Sean Bean is not the tallest btw. I saw him in Macbeth and he was kinda stumpy!

• 58. Cath  |  October 17, 2009 at 5:43 pm

• 59. JB  |  October 20, 2009 at 12:10 pm

How about Bryce Dallas Howard for Bree?

• 60. Kelly  |  February 23, 2010 at 2:22 pm

She is a lovely woman, but I think she is a maybe a little too delicate for Bree, plus she is a vegan, think she may have a tough time doing hunting scenes! It should be someone you could see playing a warrior.

• 61. JB  |  October 20, 2009 at 12:12 pm

and definitely Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy) for Jack Randall

• 62. Kelly  |  January 8, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Oh, yes, Jason Isaacs for Jack Randall, good choice!

• 63. victoria  |  October 28, 2009 at 8:03 am

Minny Driver is a shoe in for Claire

• 64. Mac13  |  October 30, 2009 at 8:44 pm

Ok. I can totally see laura prepon as bree. She’s quite tall, looks good as a redhead, and she’s american which bree is. Claire is a problem for me, keira knightly is just wrong. I know people might think I’m wonky but I like helena bohnam carter or kate winslet. Both are fabulous, strong women and I can picture either easily keeping pace with whomever is cast as jamie. Now jamie is impossible b/c I don’t really think anyone could match what I have in my head. But kevin mckidd and kevin durand. If they go w/ an actor whose too young they will have to change actors to continue the series. Either joseph or ralph fiennes would make a great randall or have one play frank and one play jack. Tilda swinton would be a great gilles. I am still trying to match the images in my head of other characters with actors. Its sooo hard though when you really love a book series and get soo involved w/ the stories you feel like you have a personal stake. LoL. :0)

• 65. Hannah  |  November 2, 2009 at 10:33 pm

For the love of all that is holy, let the powers that be cast real actors, and not *STARS* in these roles. I don’t care if I have never seen them before. I don’t care if their physical appearances are not exactly in line with the descriptions in the books or with my own over-active and lascivious imagination. If the casting agent is a black belt , and the director is phenomenonal, and if the actors can really act, they will convince me.

I admit to being curious to see some Fiennes homosexual S&M action. Other than that, and sparing me the ordeal of Keira Knightley, lovely as she is, launching yet another of her perfect clone characters, surprise me.

• 66. Rhonda  |  November 15, 2009 at 7:14 pm

I know this is really late, but I just started reading these novels. I think Kate Winslet would be a great Claire and Michael Fassbender (Stelios from 300, Fishtank, Inglourious Basterds) would be PERFECT as Jamie.

• 67. Danielle  |  December 10, 2009 at 11:07 am

What about Domhnall Gleeson. He’s 26, blue eyes,
    6′ 1″ from Dublin, Ireland. Bet he’d fit the part perfect! :)

• 68. Wendy Evans  |  January 25, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I’ve said it on the trillionth page and i say it here (evo’s wife), when is this film actually going to happen? By the time it really does take place everyone suitable for the parts will all be to old. I thought Christian Bale would be great as Frank and John Randle. But I suppose that he will be too old soon. Now I have come to the conclusion that there is no film at all and it is all a “red herring” just to get you to read the books. So that’s it with me, I have lost complete interest now.

• 69. WishIwereClaire  |  January 26, 2010 at 9:13 pm

I want to be Claire! Can they make it an open casting call so we can all dream of a chance to kiss Jamie Fraser?

• 70. aygen  |  April 12, 2010 at 8:27 am

I think Rob Pattinson would be the perfect Jamie and Rachel Weisz would be perfect as Claire…

• 71. Lisa  |  June 11, 2010 at 4:39 am

Rob Pattinson as Jamie? NO WAY!
    Yes, he is pretty and I also admit that he’s got the looks – but there is one thing he doesn’t have: he isn’t a warrior, meaning you wouldn’t buy it. Or can you imagine him running across a battlefield, yelling and wielding his sword, being smeared in dirt and blood? I think that this would look ridiculous.

I’m definately rooting for Chris Hemsworth for Jamie!
    He’s PERFECT for the role of Jamie!!
    Check this video out, thats a great selection of actors:

• 72. Mckayla  |  November 1, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Chris Hemsworth IS perfect for Jaimie. Hands down, he’s gotta play him! I like this video, but Kate Winslet is far to old to play Claire. I see Anna Friel as Claire. They’d be wonderful together!

• 73. Nel  |  July 11, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Definately need fairly unknown actors for this! My pick for Jamie is a Canadian actor, Lucas Bryant.

• 74. Laura  |  July 29, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Matthew Goode

• 75. ashley  |  August 5, 2010 at 12:10 am

My hands down favorite for Brianna is Deborah Ann Woll from true blood, she is absolutely gorgeous!

• 76. Karen  |  August 12, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I really can see Matthew McConaughey (if he had red hair) as Jamie. Whoever plays Jamie has to have a sense of humor & a twinkle in his eye! Too many oif the others mentioned don’t show that, even if they might have it.
    I still say Jane Seymour would be perfect as Claire (yes, I know she’s probably too old by now but I still see her in that part).

• 77. Jacinta  |  August 25, 2010 at 3:18 am

Whoever gets to be Jamie, he has to be a great big hunk of man – none of these slightly effeminate snag types – doesn’t have to be super good looking – a lot of these actors are too pretty. It is the aura of the man – emphasis on MAN!

• 78. Stephanie  |  August 29, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Gerard Butler would be an amazing Jamie… looks good with red hair, has the body type, (maybe not as tall as needed, but in movies thats not really a big issue) he’s rugged, handsome, NOT a pretty boy, perfect!!!
    Jared Leto would be a pretty good Roger too…

• 79. Liana  |  September 3, 2010 at 7:14 am

my sister inlaw lent me her crosstitch book only this year and now i am hooked and spend fleeting moments pondering these role casts. When will we get on screen play ????

Anna Friel – perfect Claire
    Phillip Winchester – Jamie xxxx
    deborah ann woll – perfect Brianna

Mr Butler – the gorgeous man would be brilliant in any clan roles!!!
    throw in Rupert Grint for the clan red head too while were at it :) he’d be finished filming harry potter by now
    James McEvoy is lovely too

so fragile thinking who would suit these roles as they are so perfect in our reading journey

• 80. judith  |  September 25, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Seriously people- Kate Winslet is the perfect Claire- no question. Michelle Pfeiffer for Geillis, Jamie? Not sure- haven’t seen anyone who can meet the ideal- Jack Randall has to be Johnny Depp and Lord John Grey has to be Orlando Bloom with blond hair aka The Lord of the Rings..Daniel Radcliffe from Harry Potter as Roger, not sure about Brianna and Ashley Greene as Jenny. When do we get to see the movie- what is wrong with these movie companies anyway???

• 81. Audrey Brooks  |  October 13, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Only one ….Hugh Jackman

• 82. Audrey Brooks  |  October 13, 2010 at 7:46 pm

the body the eyes …wow!

• 83. Tara  |  December 17, 2010 at 5:38 pm

I think Joel Edgerton would make a fair Jamie. A little too old maybe? but he definately has the cat eyes and colouring for it

• 84. Alicia  |  December 26, 2010 at 3:48 am

jack davinport (coupling bbc, Pirates of the Carib…) would make an excellent Black Jack…

• 85. Alicia  |  December 26, 2010 at 3:49 am

Cate Blanchet as Claire…excellent!!

• 86. monica  |  January 16, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Understandably, many people are of the mindset of having actors act in front of the camera which results in a movie. But, beside my own preference of Robert Carlyle as Murtaugh, I definitely agree with having very talented unknowns as the leads in the traditional manner of movie making.

But the logistics of putting the books into one movie is going to disappoint many, many people. Perhaps an animation like they did for Final Fantasy or Avatar, as a series, like the Harry Potter and Twilight films, could not only be cost affective, but could be more closely based on your visual character descriptions. Plus, that way, Claire and Jamie will be ‘Claire’ and ‘Jamie’. As opposed to so-and-so playing these characters whom we each see differently in our own minds. The character designs could be based on the drawings and photographs submitted to the fan websites. Maybe even put out a contest with limited numbers of submissions permitted for a list of characters not based on already existing historical figures. Plus another advantage of an animation permits room for the internal monologues to be voiced more efficiently. Perhaps Gabaldon would be up for being the voice of one of her characters. Wouldn’t that be awesome!

Certainly an idea to bat around for a while.

• 87. Leanne  |  February 12, 2011 at 6:27 am

So I know I’m late joining the conversation, but I think Jason Lewis as Jamie would be fantastic. (Smith Jerrod from Sex and the Ctiy). He’s got the height, the body and the eyes!

• 88. Valerye  |  March 27, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Why hasn’t anyone thought of O’Loughlin as Jamie? I mean, since we are fantasizing anyway, why not go with a real Scotsman with the chops to be a bad ass, a devastating smile, and eyes that won’t quit? Whether he’d look good with long, scraggly red hair would be a question…

• 89. BRENDA  |  April 24, 2011 at 6:12 pm

I think Chris Hemsworth of Thor would be fantastic as Jamie. Also, Natalie Portman would be perfect for Claire, as she has the perfect colouring and she could probably be convincing in any part.

• 90. Rob  |  May 3, 2011 at 11:18 am

Aaron Eckhart should be cast as Jamie….with red/gold hair, he would be perfect. And I think he could pull off looking like a 22ish yr old virgin with that baby/ yet manly face.

• 91. Erica  |  May 22, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I think Rosamund Pike would be perfect for the part of claire. And either Kevin Mckidd or Alexander Skarsgård, hes swedish, but looks the part. Both do! Im so excited for the movieeee

- http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gbv=2&biw=1600&bih=707&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=rosamund+pike&aq=0&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=rosamund

-http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ktso7brpUx1qast8lo1_400.jpg&imgrefurl=http://fuckyeahbritishmen.tumblr.com/post/260068936/kevin-mckidd-as-the-duke-of-norfolk-in-the-bbc&usg=__fEIlaOoiNpMzuoRbplxvqz5rwmw=&h=255&w=340&sz=20&hl=en&start=0&sig2=P5ACdncCt0AUCYr1x-zjZA&zoom=1&tbnid=bTS0BfclOf8W6M:&tbnh=161&tbnw=202&ei=Y9bZTbaQEY6asAP_8uWGDA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dkevin%2Bmckidd%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1600%26bih%3D707%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=239&sqi=2&page=1&ndsp=27&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:0&tx=76&ty=144

- http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3975842048/nm0002907

• 92. hannahb  |  July 13, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I think Chris Hemsworth, the actor that played Thor, would be the perfect Jaime!

• 93. jennifer  |  July 29, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Think Chris Hemswoth, 6’1 blue eye, as jamie oh my god yummy,

• 94. eliza  |  July 31, 2011 at 8:48 am

I hope, hope, hope that the person chosen to play Jamie is an unknown actor. Even though there are plenty famous actors who are beautiful, Jamie is Jamie, not them. :) It would break my heart to see someone famous play the part. I need Jamie to be just….well, Jamie. Silly, I know, but I am such a big fan and I don’t think I could watch it if it was someone I had seen in other movies. Jamie is one of a kind.

• 95. Rasberry  |  August 16, 2011 at 4:11 pm

The entire time I read Outlander and Drangonfly in amber I was thinking to myself that it just HAD to be a movie…just finished the second and decided to google it….and it is! I can’t believe its really happening!!! soo excited. I think Keri Russell has the look of claire, However I’ve only seen her in August rush so I don’t know her acting capability. She’d have to work on an English accent of course. :) I think Eric Bana looks like a Jack Randall and has the capability to play him…and frank as well. I think Christian Bale would make a good frank/jack as well….but he may be a little too popular I think. Jamie is just too hard lol good luch finding a Jamie!

• 96. Joanne Cadreau  |  August 29, 2011 at 10:29 am

Was the movie actually made. If so, where can I find it. When is the last installment of this wonderful novel going to come out and what is the name of it?

• 97. Charlie686  |  September 28, 2011 at 8:36 pm

My ideal Jamie was Andy Whitfield…. Beautiful cat-eyes, deep blue, perfect chiseled features…. not too hard on the eyes. Intense, passionate actor who was very emotionally readable. RIP!

• 98. Mckayla  |  November 1, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Chris Hemsworth is IDEAL for Jamie. Just give the man a Scots tongue and some flaming locks and VOILA! He’s tall, built, rugged, has a deep, sexy voice and his eyes,OH his eyes! Piercing blue and they’re even the shape that Claire descibes Jamie’s eyes to be. No Hollywood actor is going to be able to do Jamie Fraser justice, of course, but I think Mr. Hemsworth comes pretty damn close.
    Fellow Sassenachs, he is our Jamie!

• 99. Mary Clarke  |  April 26, 2013 at 2:40 am

When and where can we either see the series on tv or buy the British version of DVD?

• 100. Additional Reading  |  May 5, 2013 at 11:30 am

Hello there! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers and starting a new initiative
    in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us useful information to work on.
    You have done a outstanding job!

• 101. Additional Reading  |  May 6, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I get pleasure from, result in I discovered exactly what I used to
    be looking for. You have ended my 4 day long hunt!
    God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

• 102. recommended reading  |  May 6, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Hmm is anyone else encountering problems with the pictures on this blog loading?
    I’m trying to find out if its a problem on my end or if it’s the blog.
    Any feed-back would be greatly appreciated.

• 103. get english golden retriever temperament facts  |  May 7, 2013 at 11:49 am

Hi there, just wanted to say, I enjoyed this post. It was helpful.
    Keep on posting!

• 104. Website Here  |  May 9, 2013 at 6:51 am

Magnificent beat ! I wish to apprentice at the same time as you amend
    your website, how could i subscribe for a weblog website?
    The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit familiar of this your
    broadcast offered vivid clear idea

• 105. biuro detektywistyczne  |  May 23, 2013 at 5:56 am

However, the results attached to free translation items may not
    always be completely precise. Registry Winner could remove those problems that you.

• 106. hampton bay ceiling fan accessories  |  June 3, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Fixed ceiling fixtures also frequently come with the option
    to have a ceiling fan as well. Simple, less ornate, ceiling light
    fixtures can be chosen in office type spaces.
    When you go with a bamboo ceiling fan, often you will find that
    the fan actually becomes the focal point in the room.