Mind Games release day, new pub date for JS-F, & an update

March 23, 2010 at 5:00 am 14 comments

First off, big congratulations to Carolyn Crane for today’s release of her first novel, Mind Games (The Disillusionists trilogy, book 1). I can’t wait to get my hands on it. I won it over at DIK, and it should be winging it’s way to me right now. I’m really excited to see Carolyn’s wit, writerly talent, and quirky sense of humor that is so fun to read at The Thrillionth Page, translated into this urban fantasy series.

Mind Games by Carolyn Crane

grey line

Another book I’ve been eagerly awaiting is Julia Spencer-Fleming’s One Was a Soldier (Rev. Clare Fergusson and Russ VanAlstyne series, book 7). Her site (which is out of date) has said for months that it would be released “fall ’09 or winter ’10”. However, neither cover nor release date has been forthcoming. Last week in her email newsletter, JS-F gave readers an update on when we can get more of Clare and Russ.

Here’s what she says:

First Amazon posted its publication date as “February 2012,” then  sent out a notice it was going to be on sale a month from now! I was deluged by readers wanting to know which was true, and what the story was?
Here’s the good news: One Was A Soldier will be coming out a lot sooner than 2012.
Here’s the less-good news: You won’t be able to read it this year. Publication is set for April, 2011.
The manuscript was so late, I missed my production slot–the date my publisher had reserved for the book to be sold-in, printed, bound, etc. There are a multitude of steps readers never see that go into the proper publication of a book.  And yes, with today’s technology a publisher can “crash” a book and skip a lot of correct practices but the folks at Minotaur don’t want my series to suffer.  They want to do it right — and so do I.  I promise you, it will be worth the wait.  I’m extremely excited about getting One Was A Soldier into your hands.

She goes on to say that she plans to do some “character sketches, vignettes, or short stories” for her mail list subscribers if she is able.

As disappointed as I am to have to wait another year for One Was a Soldier, I’m glad that the high quality of this series won’t be compromised.

grey line

On a personal front, things have settled down a bit. My little great-nephew is home now with my niece. It was wonderful to introduce him to my son, who is thrilled he finally has another boy cousin. (The last few were girls, and he’s been dying for another boy in the family.)

Here is a picture of him getting to know his new little cousin (with my help):

Baby N, the kid and Renee

He was a little nervous to hold him or even touch him at first, but by the end of the afternoon, he didn’t want to let go of his cousin’s tiny hand.

The 3rd annual DABWAHA (Dear Author Bitchery Writing Award for Hellagood Authors) Tournament (a romance oriented NCAA March Madness style tournament) has just concluded the 2nd round. I’m really excited to currently be in 5th place. I know the tides change quickly with each set of voting, so I may not be where I’m at once the next round concludes, but it’s been fun to check in after voting in each set, and see where I’m at.

On the book front, I’ve been really loving the audiobook of A Local Habitation (October Daye series, book 2). Rosemary and Rue (book 1 in the series) was one of my favorite UF series debuts last year, and Toby’s further adventures are just as enjoyable. It also is translating well into audio format and Mary Robinette Kowal is doing a great job with the narration.A Local Habitation

I’m also reading Flirt by Laurell K Hamilton, which I have a feeling won’t be one of my favorites in the series. It’s one of her shorter books (158 pgs) leaving little time for plot, and the “flirting” theme isn’t really doing it for me. However, I will persevere for continuity sake and hope for better things with Bullet (a regular length novel) which will come out in June. I enjoyed the last Anita Blake novel, Skin Trade, more than any of the last 5 or 6 that I read and will continue to be optimistic about the future of this series.

This week I’m hoping to finally get to Linnea Sinclair’s Games of Command and Madeleine Brent’s Tregaron’s Daughter, my March Re-read Challenge book. I’ve been totally flaking out on my challenges this year, reading the books but not reviewing them. Ideally, I’ll be turning that around this month!

So, that’s what’s going on around here. What’s happening with you? Read any good books lately?

About these ads

Entry filed under: Weekly Update. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , .

I’ll be back in a couple of days… Worlds Collide: Books available for review

14 Comments Add your own

• 1. Lisabea  |  March 23, 2010 at 6:15 am

Beautiful photo!!!

And it’s on it’s way, or so my email says.

xx

lb

• 2. Renee  |  March 23, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Ack! I found your comment in my spam. Happened with Tracy’s the other day, too. (Over-zealous Akismet!)

Thanks! :-)

Got it today. Gonna start it asap. Thanks, again.

• 3. Chris  |  March 23, 2010 at 7:30 am

That is such a sweet picture of you and your son with the new baby!

Congrats on being fifth in DABWAHA! Wow. I think I got to 131 once. I’m not even near that now. :)

• 4. Renee  |  March 23, 2010 at 11:51 am

Thanks. :-)

I’m afraid on of my choices (which didn’t make it) might come back to bite me in the butt for the next round, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed!

• 5. Carolyn Crane  |  March 23, 2010 at 8:32 am

Congrats on Dabwaha, and I love that little picture of you and your boy and the new baby. How sweet that he wouldn’t let go of his hand. That is just so wonderful. There is nothig like a baby’s little hand. So wonderful. (Also, xxoo for pimpage!!)

• 6. Renee  |  March 23, 2010 at 11:52 am

My kid got so excited when he was shown how the baby would “hold” his finger if he put it in the baby’s palm.

((Big Hugs to you!)) :-)

• 7. Lea  |  March 23, 2010 at 3:45 pm

What a beautiful picture Renee, your son is so cute with the baby. Congratulations on DABWAHA.

I hope you enjoy Mind Games as much as I did.

Best
    L

• 8. Renee  |  March 23, 2010 at 8:34 pm

I love that picture. He looks so tentative. (not a natural state for him. lol)

Thanks!

I got Mind Games in the mail today!

• 9. Leslie  |  March 23, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Awe, makes me want just one more baby. :)

Your son is so sweet, it’s a beautiful picture.

Good luck on dabwaha!

• 10. Renee  |  March 23, 2010 at 8:33 pm

I’ve been feeling those pangs myself!

Thanks! :-)

• 11. nath  |  March 24, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Great picture, Renee! He’s sooo small! Wow! Been forever since I’ve been around a baby. sigh.

I’m 7th in the DABWAHA! It’s my first year playing and it’s really exciting… and nerve-racking!

Just finished A Conspiracy of Kings. Great sequel to the Queen’s Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner.

• 12. Renee  |  March 25, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Thanks! Yeah, it’s always a shock how small they are. And, it’s so hard to believe my kid was ever that little! lol

Congrats to you! :-) Isn’t it tho?

I still have to read that MWT series!

• 13. orannia  |  March 25, 2010 at 2:28 pm

I too am looking forward to reading Mind Games! Congrats on winning a copy :)

I love the photo – it’s gorgeous!

Another book I’ve been eagerly awaiting is Julia Spencer-Fleming’s One Was a Soldier.

Ditto :) I was rapt to receive the email newsletter and to have a confirmed publication date. Also, I took great heart from the fact that there is an eight book in the words *happy dance*

Am seriously trying to decide if it is break-up time for me and LKH. I want to know what happens, but I’m not sure enough to wade through the books. Hmmm, maybe I could just skim them?

• 14. Renee  |  March 25, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Thanks!

Yes, it’s good to know we’ll be getting more Clare and Russ in the future.

Yeah, finished Flirt. My need to be thorough made it impossible to skip it, but it really was skimmable. I’m really hoping Bullet will be better. sigh.